Friday, May 2, 2014

24 High/Low Monthly Challenge: Let's Get the Party Started!

Today is the day!  I always look forward to our monthly challenges, but this one... This one is one that really tickles my fancy.  We focused on high/low storage this month!  You know, that really FUN part of organizing.  The goal was to find, craft, create, DIY or build budget friendly storage based on high end inspiration.  It could be anything from a drawer divider to a storage box to a decorative basket to an entire piece of furniture.  You can find the kick off post here and some more inspiration here.



I am actually going to continue to share a few high/low organizing projects over the month of May, while you continue to link up and share yours.  I found a few pieces I was excited to bring into my home for projects big and small, and can't wait to share!

I am kicking off the series with an easy peasy umbrella stand transformation.


Last year there was a very sad incident that caused our beautiful over-sized vase of an umbrella stand to tumble over and break.  Tears were shed and I went right out to replace it.  However, the first umbrella stand cost me $10 and another at that price has been impossible to locate again.  So, we have been tossing our umbrellas in a corner, hanging them on hooks, losing them in our coat closet... I know, big time problems right?

I recently spotted these darling Jayes umbrella stands with pretty gold detail edges, however, at $95 each, I chuckled and moved on.

Until I found a floral bucket at a thrift store for a total of $3!  The shape was close enough to the inspiration and the price to corral our umbrellas by the front door was perfect.


 To knock-off the inspiration, I started with some basic supplies as well.


Some wooden spheres found at Michael's for 49 cents, navy spray paint and gold liquid leaf.

I started by giving the bucket a coat of the glossy navy spray paint.  Once the paint was cured, I then taped off all of the edges on the outside and in.


Using the liquid leaf, I gilded the rim and handles of the bucket.  I am also starting a new paint splatter nail treatment trend.... Shellac is so yesterday.....


I wanted to add a small decorative detail to the bottom of the bucket in the form of feet.  I started by sticking the spheres to rolled painters tape.  This would allow me to gild them without them rolling around.



Using some super glue, I adhered the spheres to the base of the bucket.


Our living room has been receiving a lot of pattern lately in the form of curtains, pillows, throws and our recent DIY lamp, so I decided that I would go for a simple, classic look on the stand.  You can never go wrong with a monogram, so I cut one out of vinyl with my Silhouette.  The beauty of the high/low project is that you can customize your storage to whatever you would like it to become.


Not bad for $3.49!  Definitely a suitable option until I find another over-sized chunky vase for $10.


A steal over the $95 version!



More High/Low storage to come next week!  But now it is your turn to start linking up some projects!

As always, an over-sized thank you to all who participate in these challenges.  Checking out your posts is my guilty pleasure every month, so bring it on!  This month I will also be sharing some of your projects via social media and as always, will be doing a recap at the end of the party.



IHeart Organizing is not responsible for the content uploaded and shared within the Monthly Link Parties on within the #wiorn hashtag feed.  However, it is a great way to join together in making organizing fun, so let's use our best internet etiquette and have a great time with this social party!

24 comments:

  1. Love love love what you did with the garden bucket! So classy and cute! Great job Jen and thanks for hosting this fun challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the theme of this link party! I did a ton of High/Low projects this month for my son's new room, but they weren't storage oriented (not yet, anyway). But I linked up my all time favorite organization-on-a-dime projects. Thanks so much for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I just love your linkups! It's so fun to hop around and look at everyone's projects! I always look forward to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be fun to see what everyone has to show here...! I love your umbrella stand, very clever way to use that bucket! Have a great weekend!Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh love that umbrella holder, Jen! Thanks for hosting another great link up-- I cant wait to check out all of the fun projects! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jen! Amazing job you did here! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a great party Jen! I LOVE your trick for painting the wooden balls! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your umbrella stand is adorable! How do you think of this stuff? You're so talented! I have the bucket so I'll attempt to do my best Jen impersonation! Thanks for the idea, wish me good luck! Xo,Kathy@The Daily Nest

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the umbrella holder, great idea!
    Isz. xx from http://thefashionnewbieandco.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours is sooooo much better!!! I love the simple monogram with the gold and navy. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you kidding me right now??!?!!! That is amazing and gorgeous, and totally looks like more than $100!!!!! I'm dying right now. And the little balls on the bottom are genius and such a great touch. Ok, I'm going to stop commenting, bc I'm just embarrassing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Link party! Can't wait for the next challenge :o) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute, I could never think of this stuff! Can I ask where you got that glass box that is holding your sunglasses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The glass box was a Christmas gift, I believe it was from Anthropologie last year.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  14. I absolutely love your blog, and I love this DIY project. An umbrella vase is exactly what I need near my front door. I don't have a decal machine, but I can use stickers of some kind. Thanks for your great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the link up!! And btw I like your version much better, so simple yet classy, brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute projects!!!! Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jen - thanks for hosting such a lovely, colourful, fun party! I'm not sure if we're allowed to add old posts so please feel free to delete mine if that is the case. I'm not sure, either, that a DIY painted bed is considered "storage" although it does "store" me every night!! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for hosting! My blog is newborn and it just so happens we recently finished a budget storage project, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been wanting An umbrella holder for a while and today I walked into Home Goods and saw one similar to these but just black and I still didn't want to shell out 14.99 I want to make one my own , so now the hunting begins for a Garden bucket vase!!! Thanks for the ideas and tips & tricks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so creative Jen! I always love seeing your projects! I've recently purchased my own Silhouette Cameo recently and I get so excited thinking up new projects! :) I have to ask though, do you have a trick when spray painting items? I've tried it a couple of times now but I just can't seem to get it even or enough paint coverage. Is there a trick I need to know about? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is to apply it in thin layers, and from a distance (say about 20 inches or so). when you get too close, you put too much paint and it starts dripping. Also, wait for layers to dry before applying a new one. Well, that's what worked for me, anyway. It's mainly trial and error. You can practice on any piece of wood or cardboard (though this one will absorb most of your paint) until you are confident.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.